Monday, March 30, 2009

Skype for iPhone is now available!

Capture 2 Today (03/31/2009) Skype released their iPhone app. I was quick to go and download it. I had heard some stuff about it. Some was true, some I had misunderstood, and now that I have the app, all is clear.

Here are a couple of things that I noticed:

The interface is very similar to the desktop version of Skype, has the same logon sound, and feels very similar in the navigation.

  • There was some talk about Skype for iPhone not having text messaging. This is where I had some confusion, I had thought that the chat feature wasn’t available in the iPhone version, turns out to be that SMS text messaging isn’t available. I heard a lot of people complain about that, though I’m not sure that it’s a big deal, given there are other methods to sending text message via the phone (through email, for instance).
  • The chat was very fast, even on my Edge network. I had all my history of that chat pop up (I was also logged in on my laptop). The profile of the user is viewable, and basic actions like “blocking” a user are also available.
  • Trying to make a Skype call the Edge / 3G network was a no-go. Apparently this is something related to the agreement of data usage with the carrier or something to that effect. The message is detailed when it comes up on Skype will connected to Edge or 3G
  • Skype calls were very crisp and clear on WiFi though. I love the fact that it can be used on both the speaker phone as well as the phone ear piece.

Given all I’ve seen at first glance, I’m very impressed with Skype for iPhone. It’s quite stable for a first release. I haven’t had a single crash yet, and connectivity is fast. Also, my SkypeOut balance is available, and can extend my credit straight from my iPhone. Same goes for my voicemail account as well.

If you’re an iPhone owner, then Skype is definitely an app you want to download. best of all, it’s free… can’t beat that price!